Today I’m sharing a holiday recipe that is 100% plant-based and made completely of wholesome ingredients. Not only do you not need to feel guilty about eating this dessert, you can actually feel good about eating it too. That’s because this recipe uses simple ingredients like avocado, dates, coconut milk, cacao powder, maple syrup, and vanilla. And yes you read that right there’s avocado in this recipe, but you won’t even taste it! The avocado is what lends this recipe its smooth mousse like texture, but mixed with the other ingredients it turns into a delicious chocolatey treat.
If you’re not familiar with cacao, cacao is a pure form of chocolate that comes straight from the cacao bean. It is less processed than most of the chocolate we’re used to and has no additives, sweeteners or dairy in it like most commercial chocolate does. In this recipe I used pure cacao powder and sweetened it with dates, vanilla and maple syrup. As I’m sure you’ve seen on my Instagram, Whole Foods is my go to spot for fresh and seasonal produce, specialty health foods, and all things vegan. And if you want to add some more plant-based foods to your holiday menu this season, you can now order catering online through the Whole Foods Market E-Store, where they have a full vegan holiday menu.
This mousse recipe can be served on its own, but to add some holiday flare I topped it with pomegranate seeds and pistachios. Pomegranates are in season right now and they were so delicious. And since I only needed a small amount of pistachios for this recipe, I got mine from the bulk foods section at my local Whole Foods.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 8-10 dates (pitted)
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 can chilled full-fat coconut milk (solid part only)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pomegranate seeds
- pistachios (shelled and ground)
- For the coconut whipped cream: The night before making the mousse, place a chilled mixing bowl in the freezer. Also place the 1 can of coconut milk for the whipped cream in the fridge overnight.
- For the mousse: Place all mousse ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness with dates and/or maple syrup as desired. Place in refrigerator to chill before serving.
- To finish the coconut whipped cream: Remove chilled coconut milk can from the refrigerator. Turn can upside down, open and pour out the liquid on the top. Take the remaining chilled solid coconut part and add it to the chilled mixing bowl. Blend with a hand mixer until smooth. Add maple syrup and vanilla and continue to blend with hand mixer.
- When ready to serve top mousse with coconut whipped cream, pomegranate seeds and pistachios.