Follow me on instagram @tedisarah for more delicious plant-based food inspiration!
Remember a few months back I did a post on lentil pasta? Lentil pasta is a fantastic food item to add to your cupboard because it’s high in protein, high in iron, high in fiber, full of essential vitamins, a good source of energy, gluten-free and cholesterol free.
However, I forgot to mention in my previous post that most people probably won’t love this pasta plain, without any toppings or sauce. It doesn’t taste the same as white pasta or even rice pasta which are pretty much devoid of nutrients and made only to taste good, not to be healthy. But when lentil pasta is used as the base of a pasta dish with other flavors, I think it’s fantastic. Not to mention it’s better for us and more nutrient dense than any other kind of pasta you can get out there.
So, I decided to give it a whirl as the main part of a one pot pasta dish and it turned out SO good. The way the lentils of the pasta and the other ingredients come together forms a dairy-free creamy, super flavorful sauce. This recipe is so easy and the perfect thing to whip together after a long day.
- 12 ounces organic red lentil pasta
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/2 one small-medium size onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 10 leaves fresh basil, roughly chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pot combine all ingredients except basil, salt and pepper. Stir together. Cover pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, still covered, for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and basil leaves. Stir to combine for one minute. Serve hot and enjoy.
This recipe has been inspired by and adapted from the blog Apron Strings.